Please excuse my lengthy departure. I have been computerless these past few months. This edition of the Dose will reflect my time at Mayhem Fest-the best concert I have ever been to!
I finally achieve my life goal of seeing Slayer in concert. And it was beyond anything I could ever have imagined. I headbanged so hard I gave myself a concussion and screamed so loud I was spitting up blood. Essentially it was the best concert of my life and I can’t wait to go next year!
I also finally got to see Whitechapel. They blew my mind and sounded incredible. I’m so in love with Phil Bozeman’s vocals. It was a fun pit too! What really blew my mind was how different that show was from anything I’ve seen in Alaska. People don’t beat the shit out of each other to get up to the front. You can just walk up there. Blew my mind.
I also got to see one of my favorite newer bands, Upon A Burning Body. They were awesome and really nice, cool dudes. I love how they played songs off both of their albums.
Anthrax was so fun and played an incredible set. I was on some dude’s shoulder singing “Madhouse” with them.
And of course Motorhead, Slipknot, and Slayer killed it on the main stage! These bands rocked so hard. I can’t wait to hear next year’s lineup! (Sorry there’s no pictures of Asking Alexandria. I napped on the ground by the beer garden during their set. I didn’t understand the singing.)
So I recently got a smartphone (an iPhone to be exact) and so I have decided to compile a list of metal apps that everyone with a smartphone should have.
1. Slayer App– That’s right! Everything Slayer in one spot! Merch, tour dates, music, news, pictures, videos, the list goes on and on. But it is all Slayer everything.
2. Metal Injection– This awesome metal site has an app with all their latest greatest on it. It’s a nice mobile edition of Metal Injection, so you can stay up to date with all the latest metal news and videos!
3. Mayhem Fest– Yep-there’s an app for that. It has pictures, videos, news, and of course all information about every date so you can find out who’s coming on stage when and when and where the signings are for the bands!
4. How To Do Harsh Death Metal Vocals– yes this is a real app. It’s created by wikiHow and at first I thought it was a joke. But after reading through it, it seems pretty ligit. They have some good tips and tricks and advice if you are looking to improving your growls.
5. Metal Hammer– This European Metal rag is actually one of my favorite sources. The app is a nice condensed form of the website-with videos and news. However be warned it sometimes can be a bit glitch.
6. Metal News– This app compiles all of your favorite metal websources into one easy to use app. Be warned it offers up some obnoxious sites. But it’s nice because it’s all in one place!
7. Heavy Metal Encyclopedia– This app lets you look up bands and albums and listen to them on youtube or spotify. There is an extensive amount of music on there and all in one convenient app!
8. Wacken Open Air– Similar in concept to the Mayhem Fest app, WOA app lets you get news, lineups, maps, ect. If you are ever planning on attending WOA you need this app! It’s easy to use and is comprehensive. It even comes with a checklist of things to pack for it. First thing on the list? Beer.
9. Nuclear Blast– I dig this label, they have some awesome bands signed to them. And their app allows for news regarding these bands and you can stream their music from it!
10. The Official Ozzy Osbourne App– That’s right, everything Ozzy, in a convenient app format! Follow the tour and stay caught up with news.
11. Revolver TV– This app has music videos, interviews and other random metal videos on it.
12. Robot Unicorn Attack Heavy Metal Version– This is the best game ever. End of story.
Now for some Metal News Updates (that you’re probably already aware of):
Yes we all know President Blythe is in jail in the Czech Republic for some ridiculous manslaughter charges. And he had his bail doubled from 200k to 400k. Free Randy blah blah blah.
Summer Slaughter is about to begin. I wish I could have attended that festival too. Cannibal Corpse-nuff said.
If you haven’t listened to the new Whitechapel or Dying Fetus albums I’m not sure what you’re waiting for. These albums are brutal. Tip: For extra brutality try sessioning them back to back.
Speaking of Mayhem Fest– Corey Taylor passed out due to overheating at the Texas show. He was taken off stage and was okay.
That’s all I have for you today! Sorry for the departure and I’m back!